Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Time to Write

Finding time to write is like finding time to exercise. We make up a lot of excuses for why we don’t get around to doing it, but the reality is if it were important enough to us, we’d do it. If you fall into this category, raise your hand high and proud and say, “Hi, my name is [state your name], and I’m an excuse maker.” Now that you’re no longer in denial, it’s time to write.

Like every other aspiring screenwriter, each of us probably has a 40+ hour a week job. We may have kids, a spouse, family, or pets to tend. We might have volunteer work, church callings, or other interests that we devote time to. We all lead busy, full, and rich lives. So where can we find time to write? 

My answer: everywhere.

One of the simplest, yet profound, statements that I once read…and I’m paraphrasing:  A writer writes. Not just when it’s convenient, and not just when they manage to find the time, but every single day. It doesn’t have to be a certain number of pages, and it doesn’t have to be large chunks of time. It just needs to be a habit.
  • If you have a long commute, take mass transportation and write.
  • If you take a 15 minute break, write.
  • If you pick up your kids from school and sit in the parking lot, write.
  • If you’re sitting in the waiting room of the doctor’s office, write.
  • If you’re at your kid’s baseball game and they’re warming up between innings, write.
  • If you’re on an airplane, write.

I refer to these moments as ‘in the cracks.’

One of my best writing times this past year was in my car from 5:45 am to 6:30 am, M-F, while my son was attending Seminary (our church scripture study program). I’d take my laptop with me and enjoy the peace and quiet of those early mornings.

In my work, my travels take me around the States and put me in the path of interesting people and places. I like to make it a game to write a quick description of the things I see and hear. I might even eavesdrop on a few conversations for dialogue ideas or speech patterns. Inspiration comes when we least expect it, so carry a dedicated notebook and jot down those musings when they occur. If you’re in the car, use your mobile phone to record voice notes.

If you need a little push and some accountability, join a writing group. My group meets every other week, and we're only allowed to bring up to 10 pages. My goal is to bring 10 new pages each session. That's less than 1 page a day that I need to develop. A very doable goal. If you really want to push yourself, join a Script Frenzy group for screenwriters, or a NaNoWriMo group [National Novel Writing Month] for novelist.

The bottom line: writers write. So, use ‘the cracks’ to develop your characters, muse about your story arc, write a few lines of dialogue, and proofread your work. Above all, make no excuses.


No comments:

Post a Comment